If you have looked into orthodontic treatment recently, you may have heard that the best type of “x-ray” that an orthodontist can take is a Cone Beam 3D image or CBCT radiographic image. CBCT stands for Cone Beam Computed Tomography and this type of three-dimensional radiography is the latest and most advanced technology available for attaining accurate diagnostic information of orthodontic patients. The advantage that three-dimensional (3D) imaging holds over regular, two-dimensional (2D) dental x-rays is that 3D radiography provides a real-life, real-size-and-shape representation of the hard and soft tissues of the head and neck, so that the teeth, bones, nerves, airway, etc. can be viewed clearly and readily. People are indeed three-dimensional and not flat, so having a 3D image is clearly more accurate than having a 2D image of the teeth and bones! The importance of CBCT 3D technology is that better imaging leads to better diagnosis, better diagnosis leads to better treatment planning, and better treatment planning leads to better overall treatment outcomes.
Cone Beam 3D Technology provides:
- Traditional Cephalometric and Panoramic images
- 3D images of the soft tissues (facial structures, nerves, etc)
- 3D images of the hard tissues (bones, teeth, etc)
- 3D views of dental problems, such as impacted teeth, misshapen teeth, or teeth with root resorption
- 3D views of the Temporomandibular Joints (TMJs)
- 3D views of the airways, which is useful in treating sleep apnea, etc.
- 3D imaging in a single, 5 second scan that provides enough data for a complete diagnosis
- Reduced radiation compared to traditional CT scanners
- Increased comfort – patients are seated in an open environment with plenty of space
Moin Orthodontics is pleased to offer Cone Beam 3D imaging for our patients. Come and see for yourself what it’s like to experience the latest and most advanced, patient-friendly orthodontic technology. Call us today to schedule your complimentary exam.